Spicy and Tender Corned Beef
- 1/2 (12 fluid ounce) can or bottle dark beer
- 1 tablespoon dry mustard
- 1 pinch salt and ground black pepper to taste
- 3 cloves garlic, cut into slivers
- 3 whole cloves, or to taste
- 1 (3 pound) round-cut corned beef roast with spice packet
- 1 (16 ounce) package carrots, cut into 2-inch pieces
- 1 (16 ounce) package small red potatoes
- 1 head green cabbage, cored and cut into wedges
- 1 tablespoon butter, or to taste
- Preheat oven to 325 degrees F (165 degrees C).
- Pour beer into a roasting pan and add contents of corned beef seasoning packet, dry mustard, salt, and black pepper to the beer. Stir to combine. Use a sharp knife to pierce corned beef all over; insert garlic slivers into holes. Push whole cloves into meat. Lay the corned beef into the roasting pan.
- Bake in the preheated oven for 1 hour; scatter carrots around corned beef and roast for about 1 1/2 hour more. Distribute red potatoes around the meat and roast until corned beef and vegetables are tender, about 40 minutes more.
- Place a steamer insert into a saucepan and fill with water to just below the bottom of the steamer. Bring water to a boil. Add cabbage wedges, cover, and steam until tender, about 10 minutes. Transfer to a platter and season with salt and black pepper. Let butter melt over the hot cabbage. Cut visible fat from corned beef and serve with cabbage, carrots, and potatoes.